Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tower of London and the Rest

We've got a lot of pictures posted without all that much context below. I'll attempt to fix that here.

 A couple of days ago (maybe 2?) we went to the Tower of London. It was very similar to South Hampton Court in that it was a castle where monarchs of old lived. We got very lucky with timing here though. Some group was being given a tour of the place and we became honorary members for a couple of hours (unbeknownst to them). The guy --you can find him in those pictures below-- was very knowledgeable and a great speaker, too. We got a great account of all the beheadings that occurred in the castle, as well as some awesomely corny jokes: "We'll be heading that way next." I'll spare you all the history, but let's just say a lot of people died there in gruesome ways for not very good reasons.

The Tower, of course, is home to the Crown Jewels, of which we unfortunately were unable to get any pictures. They were pretty amazing though. A couple items of note: a 553 carot diamond (ladies were informed by the tour guide to promptly hate their husbands after seeing it) and a wine cistern made out of pure gold. The cistern was probably bigger than me and seemed like a quaint way to serve wine. 

After seeing the Jewels, we ventured into the center of the complex where they had an exhibit of armor "Fit for a King." I didn't bring any water with me and it was about 2 hours after when I should have eaten lunch, so I felt like I was going to pass out at this point. Honestly, nothing really stood out for me here. 

Last night, and I'm sure I'm skipping stuff here, we went to the Ministry of Sound. The hostel we're staying at loosely organized the event, so we went with a very large group of foreigners to the place. They were playing house music at an incredible volume. Some famous (to people who know) DJ was spinning. We were dancing. In sum: it was awesome. Except for the 5 pound beers (that's $8). 

I'll let Josie write about the Dutch friends we met later. She absolutely loves them. I'm sure more is coming later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment