Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tales of the Pope and his Pope Mobile

6/4/08

We saw the pope today! Ali was randomly walking around near the Vatican, and she saw a huge crowd in St. Peter's Square... After closer inspection, she realized it was a gathering for the POPE! She called Melanie and I straight away, shrieking for us to get there as soon as we could, because he was giving his blessing and then he'd be saying goodbye for the day.

Melanie and I got dressed as quickly as we could, and rushed out the door into the crowded streets of Trastevere, a great local area of Rome where our apartment was located.

We got on and off the tram, pushing people out of our way. We were on a mission from God-- literally! It was usually a 30 minute journey to St. Peter's Square, but Mel and I still maintain that we got there in 15 minutes!

We got there just in time to see him in his bulletproof Pope Mobile, bidding his farewell and waving goodbye. It was still amazing though! As I had already seen the Pope give his blessing during my trip to Rome in 2006, I wasn't that upset. And this was my first encounter with the Pope Mobile, so all was well!

No comments:

Post a Comment