Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tuscany, Flowers, Wine & a Banjo

5/25/2008

We went on our excursion to Tuscany today. It was absolutely beautiful. As you can see by the photos, everything was picturesque. I can't even describe it, so I will let the pictures speak for me.





We went to two little villages. The first was great because it was Trinity Sunday (a Catholic holiday), so the streets were covered with decorations made from flowers. There is a parade for the Pentacost holiday that lasts for the entire month of May, and we were extremely lucky to catch the end of the month! The timing couldn't have been more perfect.







The second town we visited (Montepulciano) featured an amazing winery. We had a free tour of the historic place, as well as a free tasting. The award-winning 2003 Rosso di Montepulciano was especially tasty, so I had one ordered and shipped to my parents back in the states.







On the bus ride back to Rome, we stopped at an adorable restaurant on the hillsides of Tuscany. While we were there, Ali and I met some cool people who are going to Cinque Terre next weekend, and they invited us to join! I'm very excited. My brother told me it was by far his favorite part of his trip while he was traveling in Italy.





5/26/2008

Last night Mel, Ali, Malaika and I went out for a night on the town. It was really fun. Glad I met these girls. They have made it a lot easier here and keep me from missing home too much. We also had fun with a new friend, Brent. He is great, plays the banjo, has a humungous beard and lives in Knoxville! The real deal.

The five of us went to Piazza Trilussa (right by school) and it was packed with drunk Italians sitting on the steps, smoking, singing, playing drums and guitars... Brent pulled out his banjo and just started playing, surrounded by four American girls, their Peronis, humming voices and bodies swaying to the music. Needless to say, it was an incredible night.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, I work with the CheapOair travel blog (cheapoair.typepad.com) and we're interested in having you guest blog for us. Please contact me if you're interested. Thanks! Aldo.

    ReplyDelete