Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blast from the Past: The Beginning of My Study Abroad in Rome, Italy

I kept a journal during my 6 weeks in Rome, Italy. I was studying art history while I was there, and hope you enjoy reading about my experiences there. I know I'll enjoy reminiscing!


5/15/2008
Well, I made it to Rome. It was quite a long journey, but we're all unpacked and ready for a good night's sleep. Tomorrow we will go sign up for some excursions, take a look around campus, then start seeing the amazing sights! I'm really excited to be here, but I'm scared that I'll miss home, and there won't be a way to fix it. I already miss my family... We'll see how things go!

Good night and ciao!



Peace out, USA



Ciao, Italia! (With my roomies Ali and Mel)

5/16/2008
I'M SO EXCITED! We are going to Tuscany next weekend, and Capris the last weekend! I love it! also, the school is offering two free tours for tomorrow and Sunday... Ali and I think we're going to do both! Melanie probably will too. Mel is our roomie, but I knew her before through my friend Azra. The one tomorrow is of the Fountains of Rome... I can't wait to go to the Trevi and the Spanish Steps! Then Sunday is the Tour of Ancient Rome, so we'll definitely see some ruins and the Colosseum. But it's late and the tour comes early tomorrow!




The beautiful entrance to my school, John Cabot University

5/17/2008
Italy looks like a gigantic boot. Or a J. Like the letter J. Yup. That's all.



5/18/2008
I called it! Both of the tours had the stuff I thought they would... and much more! Here are some photos:



The Pantheonnnn



Inside the Pantheon



Commodus made this for his dad (Marcus Aurelius) when he died... Gladiator much?



Trevi Fountain



The Trevi up close!



The Spanish Steps



An ancient Jewish Ghetto



One of the fountains on the tour in the ghetto



An ancient theatre near the ghetto where a Caesar was assassinated



The Roman Forum



More Forum



Okay there are lots of cool things about this... first of all main street in Roma (Via del Corso), then it's the place where Napoleon came after his whole dictator thing failed, and Michaelangelo died here. Kind of a big deal place.



Am I ruining the picture... or are the ruins? :)



Me in front of the Colosseum

Rome really isn't that big of a city. Everything is much closer together than it looks on a map. I love it here. And I Skyped with my family, so not nearly as worried about missing people!

We went out Friday night to Campo de Fiori (where all the Americans go), and we went to a bar called Sloppy Sam's. My good friend Mike Z was the bartender! It was so good to see him again, and he gave us half off all our drinks! Good guy :) My advice? Don't go to a club after the bars close; I kept having to push old creepy Italian men off of us while we were dancing. Ha! But overall, it's been amazing!

3 comments:

  1. great photography really makes me wish I was there.

    Lazarus Lupin
    art and review
    http://strangespanners.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Hope I could visit it soon too. :) Thank you for your sweet comment @ my blog. Hope to see you back at The Netherlands one time. Great blog, follow me too if you want!
    xoxo

    http://theonlyfashionprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based from your pictures, I could see that you had so much fun in the place. Thanks for sharing your experiences to the readers.

    study abroad in rome

    ReplyDelete